The Upcoming Book
I’m going to be taking the next couple weeks off from writing on the blog. I’ll still be updating the site 1-2 times a week with some video blogs I recorded a while back as well as a new podcast next week.
The reason for the hiatus is that I’ve begun writing a new book. The book is based on my idea of “self help from a first-person perspective.” I.e., rather than lecturing you or explaining how you should live your life, it’s instead an honest inquiry into my own life, my own shortcomings, fears, challenges. The focus won’t be on my successes as much as overcoming my failures and coping with my fears. It will be divided into 12 separate short autobiographical stories, each with its own theme and revelation. I don’t think I’m far off in saying I’ve lived a bit of an extreme life, so hopefully the stories will be quite entertaining as well.
Subjects will include:
- How I started a business and achieved a location-independent income.
- Overcoming sexual inhibitions and becoming comfortable asserting myself around others.
- The emotional extremes and confusion of living abroad.
- Struggling with sexual objectification and obsession.
- Making myself more emotionally vulnerable and the fear of opening myself up in my relationships with others.
- Finally, the full story on Pick Up Jesus (for long-time blog readers).
- Dealing with unconscious stereotypes, both as the culprit and the victim.
- Learning to let go of what one doesn’t control and becoming comfortable with one’s shortcomings and failures.
More info will be provided between now and then. I am going to send out some feelers for agents and publishers to see if there’s any interest in doing a big mainstream publication. The blog receives a steady 300k visitors per month now and the message is a unique one that I think has wide mainstream appeal. If I do get scooped up by a publisher (which is a very big “if”), then it may be a year before the book comes out. If not, then I will self-publish again and promote it through this site as well as the usual channels.
I’ll be back in a few weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the videos, enjoy the podcasts, and feel free to make fun of my goofy laugh.