A few months ago, the guys at Bonnegueule.fr approached me about promoting an English version of their ebook to my readers. Those guys wrote a handful of fashion articles for my site (under the pseudonym “Gill”) and the articles all came out well. So I said send me a copy and I’ll take a look.

Now, this has been a monthly occurrence for years. Someone wants me to promote their book or product. I tell them to send me a copy. And typically within 15 pages, I think it’s crap, delete it and move on with my life.

Not this time. In fact, I was so impressed by it that I emailed them and said that not only would I like to promote it, but I’d like to slap the PostMasculine name on it and sell it as a staple product here. It was that good.

Honestly, as someone who has scoured the internet for men’s fashion advice for years, and who only recently feels like he’s “got it together” in the style department, it was something that I wish I had found a long time ago. If you’re a man, there are a few problems when it comes to learning about fashion and style by yourself. The first is that most sources simply showing clothing that looks good and they don’t explain WHY it looks good. GQ and most fashion blogs are a good example of this. You flip through them, see all of these “great” jackets and watches, and no explanation of why they’re considered great or why they look good, how they differ from lesser or cheaper jackets or watches, or whether they’d look good with your physical features or not.

The other problem is that people only describe what looks good on them without knowing why. So for instance, a tall, 25-year-old rocker kid may give out fashion advice to a short, stocky, 40-year-old business executive and it will be a complete mismatch of information in every way.

Here’s what I loved about the Style Guide for Modern Men:

1. Style Advice Which is Personalized. Instead of telling you about a bunch of cool shirts, or their favorite pair of pants, the Style Guide spends a lot of time talking about the three fundamentals everyone must understand: fit, cut, and quality. They explain how if you’re short and a little bigger around the middle you’re going want to find shirts with this specific fit, jeans with this type of cut, and match them with these accessories. If you’re tall and thin in the shoulders, then you want another type of fit and cut. If you’re 22 and a university student, then you want to focus on these types of shoes. The book explains how to match clothing to your particular body-type, physical features, and personality — something I’ve never seen any other fashion/style source cover in depth. You coming away finally understanding why a $20 shirt on a discount rack at H&M can sometimes end up looking better on you than a $150 shirt from Saks.

2. A-to-Z Wardrobe Coverage. The guide clearly lays out what every man needs in his wardrobe: Collared shirts and T-shirts, jeans, shoes, a jacket/coat, a suit, and some accessories. The guide then tackles each one of these items with its own chapter. Here’s what distinguishes high-quality leather from low-quality leather. Here’s how to pick the right cut of jeans based on your leg shape. Here’s how to layer your coat with your sweater. Here are the essential shirts every man needs in his closet and how to pick out the one that matches your body-type.

3. Hundreds of Images and Examples. My biggest complaint with some other ebooks on style — even some of them which were good — was the shortage of useful image examples. Even popular ebooks on style have only an image or example for every 10-20 pages. The Style Guide has hundreds, so you can see what everything looks like as you’re reading about it.

4. Covers the Shopping and Dressing Experience. The one thing I’ve never seen discussed anywhere else is the actual experience of buying new clothes, trying them on and becoming comfortable in them. The Style Guide covers how to bargain hunt, how to handle pushy salespeople, how to feel comfortable with a new look you’re trying out, why you shouldn’t always take fashion advice from women, what you should try on in the store and why, etc. For a lot of men, clothes shopping is a tedious experience. I think this could change that.

5. Light on Theory, High on Practicality. The attitude in the Style Guide is pretty analogous to my attitude when doling out pick up and dating advice: stop obsessing about theory, pay more attention to what works. For instance, the Style Guide tells you flat out to stop worrying about which colors go with your complexion. Instead, focus on what works within your outfits. Stop worrying about brands and having to keep up with a million different trends and designs and always come back to the three fundamentals: fit, cut and quality.

If you’re a man who doesn’t dress as well as he could, or who has been frustrated in trying to learn about fashion and style in the past, if you want a clear book to explain all of the important concepts to you so that you can dress yourself well from now on. Then I encourage you to check this out.

Learn More Here

You Can Look Better Than You Thought Possible

Learn how to look better and notice how differently people treat you. The Style Guide for Modern Men is a guide to how to dress well for men.

It’s loaded with hundreds of pictures and will show you everything you need to know to be a well-dressed man. Get noticed.

29 Responses to The Style Guide for Modern Men

1. Dave says:

Hey Mark,

is there any differences between the english and the french version? I’m considering buying it (not that I’m lacking much in the style department, but the articles they wrote over here were few of the articles that made sense and taught me something, so I’m guessing that it can take me from “nice” to “really got it together”), but since my main language is french, I might go with the french version if they are the same.

2. Zac says:

I’m extremely excited about this product. I feel like a lot of guys feel lost when dressing themselves. I spent most of my life trying to dress nicely and it’s confusing sometimes. This guide looks great and I am excited to check it out.

3. Tim says:

You’re probably on this already, but this should go on the ‘improve’/products page.

Looks good; as soon as I have some money to spend on clothes I’ll definitely buy it.

4. CamalX says:

Again no PayPal ?

5. Schmechti says:

Another time you can only pay by credit card. How many pages does the book has? You should probably make an overview of the chapters in the book.

6. Mauricio says:

Awesome! I’m excited about this!

This is the kind of stuff that makes us love this place, practical mature advice with focus on action and understanding rather than theoretical mental masturbation that leaves us more confused that when we started!

7. Edmond Dantès says:

Didn’t know that Gill and his team were the guys from the website. You made a good choice with picking one of the best fashion coaches in Europe.

Hey Mark

I checked the French version, and it has some of those cool bonuses that ebook writers like to throw in. eg 3 bonuses plus a photo collection of what looks good. Perhaps they could offer to do the same for the English version?

Also the French version is 27 euros compared to $47 for this one.

I am curious to get the French version, so if you get an affiliate link for it, let us know.

David

French version can be bought through this link:

• Hello,

The two versions are actually slightly different but not complementary. I recommend everybody to choose one but not to buy both.

The US version appears more practical whereas the French version adress also the most advanced readers (I mean REALLY advanced). We will probably publish a new opus with Mark if we meet success in the US (that would justify the translation of our latest publications: a quality translation costs hell of money, you cannot even imagine. And 150+ pages of graphist artist too !).

Thanks for your interest, don’t hesitate to publish your feedbacks here !
        Geoffrey

• David says:

Cool…I just added a few more dollars to your next night out at Bed Beach in Budapest : )

9. Jesse says:

Do the jeans pictured on the example p.57 fit properly? They look too long to my untrained eye.

10. Andy says:

The Style Guide looks beautiful! Well done!

11. Schmechti says:

Excellent book. Looks really good.

12. hamburg says:

I got one question:

Are there any website tips where to buy the clothes online in the US/French version? Are they similar or different?

13. Schmechti says:

Hey Gill, which designer’s color palette do you recommend?

14. Matty says:

This guide looks amazing, i’ll definitely be picking it up soon! The one thing I did want to ask you guys about is alterations. You talk a lot about raw denim, and i’d like to pick up a pair. The problem is, i’m about 5’6 and wear like a 28 inch inseam, and most raw denim jeans i’ve seen run about 34 inches. I tried a few on, and even with cuffing and stacking, they look ridiculous. What’s your take on hemming raw denim? I’ve scoured the internet, and everyone seems to have different answers. Some say don’t because the jeans will shrink on the first wash. Some say you can because most raw denim brands sanforize so they won’t shrink. And how about fit? Should I size up because they’ll shrink, or down because they’ll expand. Kinda confusing…

• Gill says:

The only real size you should look for is the waist size. The rest is not important. Take about one size down to half size down because jeans do expand after wearing it a lot. And yes, they shrink a bit when you wash them, but I would recommend to to it only after a few months or wear.

example on how to wash it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZt_ZuJi90

I know this is a debatable question to wash it or not more regularly because of the dirt, but because of the bacteria, here’s the answer to this mythic interrogation : http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/student-wears-jeans-for-15-months-proves-they-have-no-more-germs-than-after-13-days-2444364.html

In my experience, I alternate between 3-4 jeans raw regularly and never had the problem. I sometimes simply soak my jeans or freeze them to remove the dirt / odor if I did something stupid… I washed seriously 8 months after one of them, and the result is simply stunning and beautiful. One you’ll never be able to buy.

For the length alteration, you can do what suits you the most. There’s no rule. If you don’t like stacking effect, just shorten your jean. If you like them long, let it be. I personally use one stacked and another at my right size (meaning there’s only 2-3 breaks when I wear it with my shoes on).

You should check these pictures, and see by yourself which length you seems to like the most.

link : http://www.tresbienshop.com/brand/our-legacy/trouser-pixel-blue

15. Jon says:

I’m most interested in improving my work wardrobe – I work in an office so I’m in business casual. Not very sexy. I’m tall and thin, and I get hot easily, so I can’t do many layers. Would this book be a good fit for me?