IMG_5851

I read an article the other day on time management and it emphasized the importance of saying no and turning down projects which aren’t sufficiently urgent or beneficial in order to focus on the tasks that are.

This has been the big lesson for me the first half of 2013. Up until this year, I rarely turned down any project or opportunity because either I couldn’t afford to or it didn’t make sense to. But the past six months that’s changed and I’ve paid for it. I’ve felt stretched far too thin. And for the first time ever, I find myself emailing people back and saying, “Thank you, but no.”

It’s a good problem to have, a good lesson to have to learn. It signifies a certain level of success. And while there are quite a few stressed-out hours from this spring that in hindsight were unnecessary, the business will be better for it.

So with that, I’ve decided to take a hiatus from blog posting for the month of June. As of next Monday, I will be free of all of my previous commitments and I plan on using the coming month to focus on the new book that I’m horribly behind schedule on writing.

The book has proven to be a beast of a project. In my opinion, the quality of it, both in terms of depth of content and writing, is on a whole different level of anything I’ve done before. But unfortunately, that means it’s coming out slowly… and painfully. My goal is to get most of a solid draft done this coming month and hopefully have it released by the end of summer.

Also, during the next month Models will be updated for what is hopefully the final time. I want to clean up some of the language and science in the beginning of it, add some more chunks on vulnerability and excise a lot of the unnecessary style, health and lifestyle advice that makes the book a little bit long.

The language will also be revised in Models to make the advice in it as cross-cultural as possible, as I’ll be having it translated into some foreign languages the second half of this year.

In the meantime, there will still be some updates on the site this coming month. I’ll be posting videos from my recent speaking tour here and you may see a couple guest posts go up while I’m away.

I’ll continue to be active on Facebook and Twitter. And all of the new video will also be uploaded to my YouTube channel. So stay in touch.

See you in July.

17 Responses to Hiatus

1. rad skeleton says:

A suggestion regarding models: Have you considered adding some of the later blog posts into the book? i’m thinking mainly of “Vulnerability and manipulative women” which I think is extremely helpful in understanding the concepts involved, also the one on “emotional vomit”. maybe as an addendum?

• Mark Manson says:

Yeah, I was thinking about those two. Possibly even the Dismal State of English Flirting or whatever its called. The idea is to bulk up the chapters 1-8 and then cut out a lot of the extraneous stuff in chapters 9-15.

Hi Mark
    I think I got the book twice, once through your site and the other time for my new Kindle. I guess I didn’t have to do that, but anyhow, is it going to be updated for Kindle users too?

Enjoy the break from posting, it’ll probably give you a whole new world of inspiration once you’re back 😉

• Mark Manson says:

Hopefully will update it on Kindle. I believe Amazon has the technology to do that automatically, but I’m not familiar with it yet.

• Harpagan says:

From Amazon https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A1RGGPBKDR1BPZ

Notifying Customers of Book Updates

If you make changes to your book and want your customers to receive the updated version, we can assist with the process. We’ll need you to provide us with some information by clicking the “Contact Us” at the bottom left hand or right hand corner of the page.

When you send us a message regarding alerting customers of an update to your book, please provide details and specific examples of the corrections made to the book. The more details that you provide, the better we will be able to accurately categorize and message any update to your customers. When we receive the details, we will perform a review of your book and take appropriate action within 4 weeks. The possible results of our review include:

1. If the changes made to your content are considered major, we’ll send an email to all customers who own the book to notify them that the update exists. These customers can choose to receive the update through their Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon.com.

2. If the changes made to your content are considered minor, we won’t be able to notify all customers by email, but we will enable them to update the book’s content through the Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon.com.

3. If the changes made to your content have caused unexpected critical issues with the book content, we’ll temporarily remove your book from sale. We’ll notify you of the issues we found so that you can fix them. Once the improvements are made, just let us know and we’ll email customers just as in case 1. Once our review is complete, we’ll email you to share the results and actions taken.

BTW: Thanks! Your book “Models..” has helped me a lot! :)
        PS I would like also to have your new book available via Kindle too.

3. Tyler says:

Cool Mark. If you feel overwhelmed, just try to remember why you love it. Thanks for everything.

• David says:

Actually, Mark, if you feel overwhelmed, I’ve seen other bloggers in self-development recommend that you breathe, ‘just breathe’, lol..

4. I feel ya man. Running a blog can be a ton of work. Sometimes you need to take a break to reboot in order reassess priorities, drink a beer or 6, and let the imagination flow.

Cheers Mark.

5. Justin says:

Great idea Mark. I would suggest working on your marketing for Models, so more people get the pleasure and benefit of reading your amazing material.

6. Aaron says:

(Yes, everyone who has bought the book before will receive the new version for free.) <– yay

7. Stefano says:

Good luck on writing the book Mark! Try to relax some too 😉

8. Cameron says:

Cool brolio. Thats awesome that your giving yourself a break, Im sure the new book will be awesome. I’m stoked about my updated models too! :-)

9. Reedik says:

Good luck!

10. Tomas says:

I would rather wait longer for a book that you feel is complete. Work hard, but do not rush it and good luck!

11. Devon says:

I am happy to see some men are understanding the importance of honesty. Through a tiny amount of research of my own I found a book that is quite compelling and believe it may be able to help some people with self-respect, faithfulness and loyalty, etc. all of which I believe are important aspects of generating healthy relationships with both woman and men. In addition to Marks’ book `Models` this book is called `Lying` by author Sam Harris, he argues “that we can radically simplify our lives and improve society by merely telling the truth in situations where others often lie.“ There is a focus on white-lies, which are the most common, and emphasizes the importance of honesty. Perhaps a research tool for new book? Anyways, I am happy to of found http://postmasculine.com and all the wonderful blogs and am looking forward to the new book. Cheers from Canada.

12. asdasd says:

Has Models v3 been released? I want to buy it on Kindle but have no idea if Amazon is selling the 2nd or 3rd edition.