Sorting out my clothes - Printable Version
+- Postmasculine.com Forum (http://postmasculine.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PostMasculine.com (/Forum-PostMasculine-com)
+--- Forum: Lifestyle, Career and Travel (/Forum-Lifestyle-Career-and-Travel)
+--- Thread: Sorting out my clothes (/Thread-Sorting-out-my-clothes)
Sorting out my clothes - I_Dare - 06-30-2012 03:45 PM
I was looking in my closet cause I'm very self aware that it will probably have to be almost emptied as soon as I recover medically and get in shape.
Here's a couple of things I'm curious to get some exterior insight (from guys that know their shit with fashion) on (keep in mind that I'm 5'7 and pretty muscular usually):
1. Tom Taylor shirts with vertical subtle stripes. I've read style advice that this supposedly makes me look taller.
2. T-shirts with something written on them. Example (Nike Tee with the classic Just do it on them)
3. T-shirts with patterns (small - repetitive). Any insight on this?
4. T-shirts with horizontal stripes. For example I have a Philip Russel T-Shirt with a design that consists of (pfuu...hard to put it in English)... horizontal stripes repeating themselves. (white-really light brown-a bit darker brown-bis). Imagine this flag without the logo: http://civitaspoliticsblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/india-flag.jpg . Now imagine the colors repeating themselves. Does stuff like this usually hinder your body shape?
I understand and also believe that simple is elegant but I'm an artist so I'm attracted to interesting (but not flashy) designs like patterns and stuff like that...
RE: Sorting out my clothes - Matty - 07-04-2012 07:27 AM
I'm about 5'7 and decently muscular, and i'm pretty well dressed, so I think I can help.
1. Yes, vertical stripes are fine. I tend to wear solid button ups a lot more these days. Vertical stripes will make you look taller, but what i've come to realize is that a proper, slim fit will do more for increasing the illusion of height than any pattern will. Not sure what part of the world your in, but if you can find anyone who can custom make a shirt, having 3 amazing shirts is better than 10 mediocre ones.
2. Errr, depends how old you are. I personally would get rid of them though, and stick to t-shirts in solid grey, black, blue, and white. I just think they look childish.
3. Again, I would stick to solids. I've found solid t-shirts make me look taller than patterned ones.
4. Generally for short guys, horizontal stripes are no go. They just make you look stocky and squat, and I think they're pretty unappealing in general.
Finally, if you want to add something interesting, you don't necessarily have to do it with the shirt. A patterned scarf, tie, or pocket square is subtle, but a nice way to add some colour and patterns.
RE: Sorting out my clothes - I_Dare - 07-04-2012 04:10 PM
Thanks man for answering! I'll consider your insight !
PS: I hate scarfs. Nobody wears them around here... except some punkers.