Do it for science

I’m on a little bit of a hiatus while I do some traveling and finish up the last revisions of the new travel book. More info and a release date will be announced in the next couple weeks.

In the meantime, I was contacted by a doctoral student from the University of Florida who is currently doing a study on the psychology of masculinity. He asked me, given the audience here, if I’d help him out and ask everyone to answer a quick short-answer question for him. I said sure.

The question has to do with what’s colloquially known as “bro code” or the silent or often explicit pact men seem to make with one another and how that affects our lives. The survey simply asks one question about your life experiences and takes a few minutes to fill out. They’ve asked me to promote this so that they can gather a larger and more varied sample size of men.

There’s no prize here. No incentive. Just do it for science. Or do it for your “bros” even.

Click Here to Participate

There’s been a lopsided amount of research done into women over the past few decades and in a lot of cases masculinity and what defines it has largely been based on assumption. Men, in many cases, have been lumped into one monolithic whole and while the injustices of women are (rightfully) aired, the corresponding problems caused to men by other men are largely ignored.

So take a few minutes, fill out the question. You’re doing a good cause. I’ll be back next week with regular posts. Cheers.

25 Responses to Do It For Science

1. Tim says:

Bro Code? Well a bro should definitely not date the same girl as one of his bros… *Whistles innocently*

2. Pellaeon says:

corresponding problems caused to men by other men are largely ignored.

As well as problems caused to men by other women. I’ve been lucky enough to never have been bullied or abused by women, but hanging around Feminist Critics I’ve learned that there is a not-so-small number of men who have.

3. Zac says:

I wonder what the ratio of violence by men against men vs. violence by women against men is and which one is a larger danger to men in general.

• Steven (doc student) says:

Zac et al., I think that is an outstanding line of inquiry and I will seek to pursue it and other upon the completion of this preliminary study!

• Nick says:

Zac, I love how your response to Pellaeon is to jump to which gender rakes up the higher number of violent transgressions as if that is all there is to gender equality.

• Tim says:

I think his point was that female violence towards men, while existent, is much smaller compared to male to male violence, and that female to male bullying and male to male bullying follows the same pattern. Not exactly subtle but he’s got a point.

• Zac says:

Tim gets it.

I understand that men are victims of abuse from females. Your average man is in more danger from men than he is from women though when it comes to abuse and bullying imo.

Some grown men are assaulted and bullied by children as well. Although it is a growing concern, it probably doesn’t make it to the top of the pile when you are weighing out specific dangers to your average man.

• Mark Manson says:

Hanna Rosin actually talks about this in her new book “End of Men”. I forget the actual numbers, but men-on-women violence is currently at an all-time low, and women-on-men violence has grown significantly in the past two decades.

• Zac says:

I was asking about men on men vs women on men. Not men on women vs. women on men.

• Mark Manson says:

The point is, women on men has been increasing substantially, whereas overall violent crime has been diminishing… so whatever it is, I imagine the tables are turning.

I forget the exact stat, but men are 70-75% of the victims of violent crime in general. And about 90% of violent crimes are committed by men. So you do the (highly estimated) math.

• Zac says:

I think that has more to do with men being more willing to report violence towards them, police being willing to arrest women for that violence, and courts being willing to prosecute women for it than it does the actual rise of violence against men by women.

This is actually a good thing for male victims, but it’s easy to spin the rising statistic as a growing problem rather than looking at it from the lens that the problem is actually being solved and that’s why the number is going up.

4. Zac says:

I feel like we have diverged from the topic of the “bro code”. Anyone wish to share their story or have anything to say about it here?

I personally think any code where one group of people tries to one up another group of people seems pretty counterproductive in the long run.

I also don’t believe that other men care more about me as a stranger than other women or are in some way more resourceful so I don’t see why I’d want to play on some imaginary team.

I’m sure there is some really admirable stuff guys would argue is part of the bro code, but I’d argue that stuff is just part of being a good person in general.

What do you guys think? Anyone care to share their story, positive or negative?

5. Pellaeon says:

I feel like “Bro Code” is a misleading term if what you really want to discuss is how unspoken masculine gender norms can be harmful. When I hear “Bro code”, all I can think about is dating, and a set of rules that a good friend would follow.

I feel like ” Man Law” much better captures the unspoken rules that a man should perform if he wishes to not get gender policed. Of course, knowing how psych experiments work, maybe that’s the point: maybe the true study is to see how using a term with positive associations affects a group’s ability to recall negative life experiences.

6. J says:

I fear that posting this link on your website will hurt this research. You yourself have said that the experiences of men and women differ per country. From which countries do you visitors come? I, for one, am not from the US, and often I feel that the way men and women interact with each other differs between what I read about the US and what I experience in my own country. Now, I could do this test based on my own experience, but your friend’s database will be filled with answers from people all over the world, with perhaps some large segments of data from countries like the US.

How can you base a conclusion on that? The psychology of masculinity must be set in some framework where you get different results from different cultures.

• Geert says:

This is a very good comment actually.

I’ve noticed this as well, in most parts of europe there is hardly any “gender war” going.

It’s good to keep this in mind when you read american websites. Which is the majority of these websites.

• J says:

Yes, therefore it is important not to sustain any generalizations about women in your own mind when you read gender blogs. I’ve found it helpful to be aware of the issues, but I always try to deal with people on a personal basis without assuming anything.

• GEERT says:

This is so true!

I’ve stopped reading this stuff altogether, cause it usually makes me enormously depressed. A lot of these blogs also have a very negative undertone.

But when I come to think of it, there’s far more respect man-women wise. No such thing as hatefull war language.

7. Edmond Dantès says:

For the bro-jo :)

8. Daniel cuttridge says:

I’ve noticed that as I’ve got older, the bro code seems to mean less and less. This is pretty odd, as I’d expect friends to do dumb shit when they were younger but nope… They seem to be desperate now they’re in the early 20s. Talking about stealing each others Women here. It’s ridiculous.

Bro code is just a language we can speak that women don’t understand fully or unconsciously decide not to tune into.

It’s a frequency only bros can tune into. Not because it’s a treehouse that says “BROS ONLY”, but because it just naturally turns out we communicate in that way and 95% of females can’t decipher it properly.

Subtle example. You’re chilling with your buddy and his girlfriend. A stunning brunette with an awesome body walks by. You unthinkingly start starring at her ass for a good 5 seconds before you catch yourself. Your bros girl is talking about something you hardly hear. Your buddy looks over slightly at you, smirks and nods. SO much is being communicated by that smirk and nod, but at best, even if analyzing it most women couldn’t fully comprehend it.

That’s what I consider bro code. Basically the polar opposite of girl code.

10. Tom Pixel says:

Make sure you post the paper when it’s published!

11. Harry says:

I cannot participate. Even though I have heard of the term ‘bro code’ before, I do not even know what these rules are that each man is expected to follow in order to be considered a man, or what the silent or often explicit pact is that men seem to make with one another, let alone that I can recall a specific incident of my life that was related to this man code.

12. [...] in September, I helped sponsor a study on male psychology with a researcher from the University of Florida. The study was simple. It asked [...]